Thursday, December 29, 2011

My thoughts on HISTORY

It is very important that we all know where we come from thus paving a very bright future for our children, and their children.

I recently read a Masters paper on the History of Kayamandi and it made me realize that we as the black population relied too much on other people to write our own history. Not only is that misleading in a way but also lacks the credibility that it deserves, given our dark history in Mzantsi. It is with great thanks that  we now can be able to write our own blogs to the fallen heros that are unsung and those that are now enjoying the praises on a yearly basis. By this article I intend to put it out there that we should be out looking for every bit of information about us.

Kayamandi was actually first founded in 1921, The Location shall be called Kaya Mandi, David Rock(2011). It is the work of this fellow that actually makes me write this today. I envy those that study history and I also pity those that do not read it because it is the back bone of our existance. Our black tradition is based on historical events and yet our people refuse to embrace this phenomenon.

We are a people that has a rich history that is waiting for us to embrace, we are Xhosa, Zulu, etc. and we all practice rituals that were done by our forefathers and yet when you ask an elder about a mere thing such as "How did your father meet your mother?" you would be lucky not to get a spanking. No man this has got to stop.

I am now  unable to thouroughly draw my family tree all because of this. IT HAS GOT TO STOP - WE NEED HISTORY IN OUR LIVES so that we can carry on knowing who we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment